We can help you through this difficult process by obtaining the Grant of Probate on your behalf. We will also undertake the collecting and distributing of assets.
How much does this service cost?
Our fees for a simple Estate where there is a single property, bank accounts and straight forward Will our services are 1% of the value of the Estate plus VAT, with minimum fee of £500 plus VAT.
Example total: 1% fee of estate valued at £90,000 = £900 (plus VAT).
This includes: obtaining the grant, collecting assets and distributing them. The fixed fee is on the basis that there are no complex investments, stocks and shares, life assurances, trusts, charities and Inheritance Tax.
Breakdown of costs:
Legal fees £900
VAT on legal fees £180
Disbursements (£423.60 in total)*:
- Probate court fee of £157.00
- Bankruptcy-only Land Charges Department searches (£2 per beneficiary).
- £84.60 Post in The London Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
- £180.00 Post in a Local Newspaper – This also helps to protect against unexpected claims. This fee is a general estimate and would be dependent on the number of words in the advertisement.
Disbursements are costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
*The total set out for the disbursements is on the basis that there is only one executor, one beneficiary and that advertisements are placed in The London Gazette and one Local Newspaper. The total will vary in relation to the specific requirements of the Estate.
As part of our fee, we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor to work on your matter
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate Application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a legal oath for you to swear
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain the Probate and securely send two copies to you
- Collect and distribute all assets in the estate
On average, estates that fall within this range are dealt with within 6 – 9 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 6 – 8 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 6 – 8 weeks. Once this has been done, we can distribute the assets, which normally takes 6 – 8 weeks.
For a more complex estate, which can include investments, inheritance tax etc. in addition to the percentage fee we charge on an hourly basis. Our hourly rates for a Solicitor dealing with the estate are £200.00 and a Legal Assistant’s rates are £110.00 Generally, the work is carried out by a Legal Assistant and supervised by a Solicitor. A complicated Probate could cost in the region of £3000 upwards. In addition to this VAT and disbursements will be payable.
This includes: obtaining the grant, collecting assets, dealing with the inheritance tax and distributing them.
It is difficult to anticipate how long this will take as the number of hours spent on a complex estate will be dependent on the particular circumstances applying to it. However, it could take between 15 and 50 hours work.
The exact cost will depend on the individual circumstances of the matter. For example, if there is one beneficiary and no property, costs will be at the lower end of the range. If there are multiple beneficiaries, a property and multiple bank accounts, investments and trusts, costs will be at the higher end.
How long will this take?
On average, complex estates can take between 9 months and 2 years.
- Openness, integrity and trust
- Commitment and accountability
- Dedication and distinctive service
- Expertise and continuous improvement
- Equality, diversity and inclusiveness